Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Books: The Little Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia

Nina Garcia's The Little Black Book of Style is a fun read, nothing revolutionary (stick to basics, always check for VPL), but illuminating none the less. What I enjoyed the most were her list of style-inspiring movies and the charming quotes throughout the book. Movies include:

Bringing Up Baby



Breakfast at Tiffany's


Love Story


The Great Gatsby


Pulp Fiction


And quotes include:

"I was not ugly. I might not be anything for men to lose their heads about, but I need never again be ugly. This knowledge was like a song within me. Suddenly it all came together. If you were healthy, fit, and well-dressed, you could be attractive." Elsie De Wolfe

"I love America, and I love American women, but there is one thing that deeply shocks me...American closets. I cannot believe one can dress well when you have so much." Andree Putman


"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci


"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain


"It's not money that makes you well-dressed, it's understanding." Christian Dior


"Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy." Albert Einstein


"Is not the most erotic part of the body where ever the clothing affords a glimpse?" Roland Barthes


"Isn't elegance forgetting what one is wearing?" Yves Saint Laurent


"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." Coco Chanel


"If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she's late? Nobody." Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye

No comments:

About Me

My photo
What would Jackie do?