Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Books: Into the Wild


I recently read Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer; this book was an eye-opener. The nonfiction book is about Christopher McCandless, a young man afflicted with wanderlust, who died at the age of 24 in an abandoned bus in the Alaskan wilderness, after living there in solitude for 112 days. There are rare books that truly make me feel something deep in my stomach, and this was one of them...I was overcome by a feeling of longing, insignificance, peace, and loneliness all at once, which is a compliment to Krakauer's story-telling skills. I was also reminded of the "mean reds," a feeling that Holly Golightly, Holden Caulfield, McCandless, and I'm sure many other people (including myself) are overwhelmed with from time to time. I know that there was a movie version released, directed by Sean Penn and starring Emile Hirsch, and I definitely plan on watching it, but I also recommend reading this book.


Emile Hirsch is great, I can't wait to see him in one of my childhood favorites, Speed Racer!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
What would Jackie do?